February 2, 2018
During our last APS Insight, we talked briefly about your sales plan. (If you missed the article, you can read it here.) APS members can listen to an expanded talk on that later this month, so if you want to polish your plan sign up!
Today we want to explore more about converting your business plan into an account plan, writes Denise Bryant, APS Group Managing Director.
There are a lot of companies that use different account planning tools. We don’t want to compare the technical merits of each system, instead we would like to share account plan best principles, which should be applicable to all – whatever system you are using.
When converting your business plan into an account plan you should consider the following:
1. Have a plan for each prospect or account which you feel, from your business plan, will be a contributor to your goal.
2. Make sure your plan is built in collaboration with all the resources in your company that will be needed to make the account successful.
3. If it’s an existing account you should document:
i) your sales history
ii) install base (if applicable),
iii) share of wallet and..
iv) understand your competitors’ activity
4. Get to grips with the organisational chart and structure and identify areas to have “new” conversations.
5. In a perfect world, co-create the plan with your customer.
6. Review your plan throughout the year with your manager – agree regular reviews, with your wider team and in quiet reflection on your own.
7. To make your reviews worthwhile, document your progress against your plan at regular intervals.
If you would like more help, consider joining the APS – the world’s leading body in sales skills, knowledge and behaviour. Our association will help you to stand out from your competitors, giving you the best chance of winning your next deal or promotion.